Sunday, May 27, 2007

I Spy a Sty in My Eye

Sometimes, I forget that I only have two eyes, and no replacements. Thanks to my disregard for proper eyecare, my left eye is now swollen and lazy-looking, and according to Sarah's research, the symptoms indicate the formation of a sty within my eyelid. YAY. It doesn't seem like too big a deal as long as I don't pop it on accident, but I was scanning the list of sty-related problems of a more serious sort:

-The eye is swollen shut.

-Redness appears around the entire eye.

-You have any change or disturbance in you vision.

-Swelling lasts for more than 3 weeks.

-The sty or styes come back or bleed.

-Your eyelashes fall out.

-Pus or thick discharge continues to drain from the eye.

-You have a fever higher than 100.5.

-You have excessive persistent tearing.

-You have significant pain.

and for some reason, of all the serious problems listed, it was the one about the eyelashes falling out that freaked me out. There is something distinctly horrifying about the possibility that one morning, you'll rub your eyes upon waking up and find all your eyelashes stuck to the back of your hand.

But now my curiosity is getting the better of me: I wonder how I would look with no eyelashes? Would it make much of a difference, given that my eyelashes are of inconsequential length in the first place? Hm.

I've always envied those with eyelashes so long that they make air currents when they blink and necessitate the use of curling irons instead of plain old eyelash curlers.

3 comments:

Jess said...

The one about the eyelashes was the only one that freaked ME out, too! I was like, oh, okay, swollen, red, pus, yadda yadda... HOLY CRAP ALL EYELASHES FALLING OUT!?

I mean... can you imagine a disease where you had a pimple and suddenly all of your hair fell out?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, dude. Contact care! Contact care! Your eyes are so important, and you don't realize it until you're blind and sans eyelashes!

David said...

I had a few sty's during college. In addition to all the proper eye care stuff I found a few drinks to help me get to sleep was the way to go. Although, luckily I wasn't as inquisitive, that was definitely an ignorance is bliss moment.

JC said...

A!! That is so weird.

This weekend, I too had a sty in the eye.