Monday, November 03, 2008

Something Akin to Fear

October 8, 2008


Today, one of my 2nd graders raised his hand and said, “Miss, you are a funny woman.” Heh. I think I come off as somewhat of a strange character compared to their former teachers who were much more grown-up looking and probably avoided (accidentally) sliding towards the whiteboard in flip-flops, and saying things like “Nechirvan, why do you have such a hard time sitting? Is your chair on fire? Do you have needles in your pants?” Maybe it's no surprise that they can see right through my stern, severe teacher act. It was unfortunate at first, because it meant they were not scared of me, the way their former teachers scared them into listening. But with the help of the Star Chart and lots of feigned severity on my part, and constant reminders, 85-90% of the time, they listen now. And still they fight to give me stickers and hugs and high-fives every day, so it can't be because they have suddenly become scared of me. Kids are strange creatures. I was one once! 


You've Been Stickered!

No comments: