Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Lebos & Ping Pong

The Lebos (what we call the Lebanese teachers here) are very serious about ping pong. One of them keeps saying that I must have the talent, and that we must look for it because it must be there. This is because I'm Korean.



"We must search for your talent!" he says in his abrasive, staccato way of talking. Then he starts turning me around and looking inside my pockets, saying, "it must be here somewhere! We must search for it!" (He has a tendency to repeat himself.) 


He's so convinced that I must have the talent, and I think this is why he keeps throwing me those awful fastballs. He thinks if he throws me enough fastballs, the talent will just pop out at some point or another. Naturally. Because I'm Korean. I hate fastballs. I play to hit the ball, not to win or lose.


I've concluded from watching the fierce competition between the Lebos that in fact, the Lebanese are more Korean than me. Or else, the Lebanese are genetically closer to the Koreans than we realize.

2 comments:

sarahsookyung said...

haha! member those church pingpong tournaments? those old guys always beat the young ones.

anyway, that ball is way to light, if you so much as look at it, it'll go flying off into space

Beki said...

I love how countries with more homogeneous populations seem to place so much faith in stereotypes.

and, yeah, the music video is weird, I just like how it shows them "singing" the other person's lines.