Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tolstoy on War

"On the 12th of June, the forces of Western Europe crossed the frontier, and the war began, that is, an event took place opposed to human reason and all human nature." ~Tolstoy, War & Peace

Is it strange that I found humor in this statement?

At first glance, it is an anti-war statement. At second glance, not so at all, for when are human reason and nature ever the sole dictators of a decision to be made?

And oh, Natasha! The innocent and pure has been blighted. I guess it was inevitable.

I find myself liking Pierre more and more as the book carries on. A strange thing about this book: In real life, I have a general tendency to like a person when I first meet them and then slowly find out their faults and like them a little or a lot less...or even more despite their faults. In War & Peace, however, I began with a general dislike for most, if not all, of the characters, but by the halfway point (page 687), I find that I love most of them. Minus the scoundrels (stupid, stupid Anatole Kuragin).

No comments: