Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rug: That Most Precious Household Commodity.

Reading on my rug. How I love the smell of new carpet!

After living for 11 months in a house with nails growing out of the floors, my new rug has brought me infinite pleasure. It is my precious commodity, and brightens the entire living room with its light beige hue and soft spirit. $50 well spent. In its previous life, having been rolled up, bound in plastic, and stood vertically propped against a stack of other similar area rugs like one of a forest of woven tree trunks, it now lies 8x6 feet over the old musty and hazardous planks of my dying house, the central figure of the living space.

How I love my new rug. I love to lie on it and stare up at the ceiling at nothing, simply enjoying the visceral feeling of homeyness that it induces with its plush, knotted texture and sawdust aroma. I love to stretch on it for hours to increase my turnout and extension in ballet; the sheer activity of stretching has transformed from a pain to a pleasure now that I do not fear sitting on my living room floor.

Best of all, I love that I can pirouette on my floor without the danger of a nail or splinter piercing my foot. I never asked to be crucified for my love of ballet, and now my new rug allows me to love without sacrifice, to practice pirouetting as much I want! whenever I want! inside my dying house.

This freedom to spin gives me infinite pleasure. I shall spin day and night on my lovely new rug.

No comments: