Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Dancer's Confession

I am so grateful for gravity and the Newtonian forces which, in a decadent exchange between Earth and I (the ultimate dance partnership), can ripple through my body, and send it bounding, teetering, flying, flowing. I am grateful for the inextricably entwined relationship between body and mind that binds me- us- to the Earth no matter how far we attempt to distance ourselves from our origin and being with our philosophies and religions. I am not separate from my container. It defines me, without it, I am not me, I am something else altogether, not just water turned from liquid to a gaseous state. It is a treasure, a source of pain and frustration often, a source of ecstacy at times. Ultimately, a tragedy. Once my spirit has gone from my body, I know that I will never exist as I know myself to exist in this unique form, ever again. The body will be an empty thing, not just a lifeless me, and the spirit, like a flame will have extinguished without the body to keep it burning bright. My dual form stamps my existence with a pronounced finiteness. It is both an emprisonment and a conduit to freedom and flight, a conduit for communing with forces beyond the typical senses and most magical of all-with the wonder of music. The music drives the body, the body communicates the music, the result is a momentary liberation of the mind. I cannot explain.

No comments: