Sunday, February 26, 2006

Aesthetics

I can't believe I've never been to a Mask 'n' Wig show until yesterday! Afterward, I couldn't help thinking how different my four years at Penn would have been if I had been a part of some performing arts group. I miss being on stage, even if it was just for some amateurish kiddie recital.

"What is the most beautiful thing you've ever witnessed in your entire life?"

Before Thursday, I would have a hard time coming up with an answer to this question, but now I know what my response would be.

I would tell them about Sasha Cohen's free skate program for the Torino Olympics- the most enchanting performance on ice I have ever seen. She looked like a real-life fairy, I'd tell them, clad in wine-red velvet, and when she did her spins, she looked exactly like those figurines that twirl around in the centers of musical boxes when you open them. I would tell them about the music that she skated to: Nino Rota's amazing score from the old Romeo and Juliet movie starring Olivia Hussey. Then, I would go on a tangent and tell them about the first time I watched this movie, how my oh-so-humorous, slightly-perverted ninth grade English teacher would pause every time 13-year-old Olivia Hussey's gargantuan boobs graced the screen, and have a rather unseemly giggle over it (or "them", I guess) before moving on. Then, I don't know where I would go from there. I'd probably tell them about how annoyed I was by Romeo's incessant whining and fake-crying throughout the whole friggin' movie. It got so bad at one point that even Apothecaryman was all, "Boy, you best get your panty-hosed ass outta that corner and grow some balls before I sic you with one of my poisonous herbs." Sigh. Boy was doomed from the start.

On top of our radiator sits a small bunch of flowers in an attractive Poland Spring water bottle, their petals- half pink and half a pale, lilac shade- reflected in the suicide-proof highrise window. It's nighttime now, but during the day, when the sunlight spills through the window, it looks like Mary Sunshine paid a visit and left a trail of cheeriness behind. Anyhoo, ever since, I've developed a keen interest in flowers of all kinds. In case anyone cares, Frogro doesn't have the greatest selection of flowers. Yes, indeed, I was checking out flowers at our local grocery store.

No comments: