Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Return of Orion

After all the guests had gone, I remembered that there had been a spillage on the table on our rooftop. I went up armed with paper towels and windex to clean it up. It was freezing out, the biting air of winter approaching slowly but surely. When I looked up, I saw that the night sky was filled with stars, and it took my breath away. A starry sky was a rare sighting in Philadelphia. And there was Orion's Belt! It had followed me all the way back from Iraq, each of its extremities safely intact. Orion was like a constant celestial companion- returning every winter without fail, wherever I may be, ready to accompany me on my latest journey. 

I've been back in Philly for nearly four months now, and really life couldn't get any better. I live in a house that has a roofdeck with the most amazing view of the Philly skyline stretching from end to end. My bedroom is like a giant tent with rainbow curtains for walls and one built of brick, and I get to share it with Sarah. Preparations for grad school are in the works, and aside from that, I've been really delving into the arts since my return, taking dance classes with some amazing instructors and shooting around the city with my brand new DSLR camera.

And best of all, I now have a special earthly companion (who's also often got a twinkle in his eye but for a very different reason) who has made me feel rather like Jasmine when Aladdin takes her for a magic carpet ride. I never imagined I'd be able to relate to a Disney character. From him, I received my first bouquet of flowers- giant sunflowers blooming with fresh scents, spontaneity, and romantic intentions. And to hear about all the things that he's done makes me, in turn, dream bigger than ever. Dangerous, I know. But anyway, besides the grand stuff,

Earlier today, when I went to the neighborhood grocery to buy a drink, I saw pumpkins sitting on the shelf. I should make something with pumpkin for the potluck, I thought to myself. 'Tis the season, after all. But what could I make besides the usual pumpkin pie? Normally, I'd brainstorm for a bit, then head home to google pumpkin recipes, find one, go back to the store, get the rest of the ingredients, etc. But this time I picked up my phone and called Adam. 

"How about pumpkin dumplings?" he suggested.

You can make dumplings with pumpkin? Who knew? Well they turned out to be more like fried pieces of gnocchi than dumplings, and in fact, it was the only food at the party that turned out bad. But still, as I hung up the phone, I thought about how nice it was that I could just call someone instead of going it alone all the time.

1 comment:

JC said...

teeheehee. earthly companion