Monday, September 06, 2010

Infinite Yet Bounded

My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep
The more I give to thee, the more I have
For both are infinite.

I have a theory about love. People say that love is infinite, but I don't think this is quite true. I think it is infinite so long as all your love is given to one person. But once you start loving more than one person, you begin to realize the finite qualities of love. I think you can love each person infinitely, but the overall amount of love that you can give in total is quite finite. This theory may be nearly as confusing as the fact that the universe is infinitely huge, yet bounded.

It is 3 o'clock in the morning. I'm babbling incoherently about something that can never be pinned down, about an ever-elusive butterfly.

1 comment:

Dr. Chau-Glendinning said...

i think love is infinite - i think we haven't learned how to tap into the vastness of it and we want to contain it the way we want to contain most things in life: to put into controllable, manageable boxes. i miss you girl.thanks for the wisdom and thoughts.