Saturday, October 02, 2010

Consumed

Lately, I've been struck with this fine idea that I'm spending the next few years or many years in anticipation and preparation for the homecoming of whoever I'm destined to be with. It's a wonderful idea. I'm not wondering, I'm simply waiting. The difference is the element of inevitability contained in the latter, and the lack of it in the former.

In the meantime, my study of ballet has taken on a level of seriousness that I never would have predicted not a year ago. I go to class nearly every day, practice and stretch for another hour (sometimes more) after each class, then go to my favorite gelato palace to take notes and think about ballet for awhile before cracking opening my Arabic book. It's become rather obsessive, I admit, and all-consuming. Absolute bliss.

Because of this all-consuming dedication to ballet, I am left with little time for socializing, and so find myself leading a rather solitary life of late. In another lifetime, this would have bothered me greatly, but nowadays, I am driven more by a sense of purpose than by a desire for camaraderie. It's a different sort of fun.

No comments: