Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Immunized & Primal

Longtime customer of LC wanders into the back kitchen. "Hey, do you need a flu shot?"

This year, I got immunized while perched atop the metal milk repository in the back kitchen of my coffeeshop. This is the best health care I've had since turning 18. After getting injected, I went back to chowing down on the most delicious falafel I've ever had.

Today was a good day. I got to open with Goosebumps. Endowed with an incredible ability to read my mind and mood, he makes me feel safe and taken care of. As soon as he goes on break to chow down on his own falafel, I set the pot of coffee dripping into the to-go cup, and forgot to watch it while grinding beans and ringing up the register. Coffee flowed all over the counter.

The day just got better as it aged into night. I was on my A-game in the best modern jazz class I've had yet. The teacher had beautiful form-- simultaneously powerful and dainty--, she didn't fuck around, she nitpicked, and she broke down the steps in an easily digestible way. The music was haunting and moving, and the choreography style was very Koresh-- lyrical and primal. Always the touch of jungle fever.

Ballet never leaves my bones, but here, in a modern class, it was important to move more instinctively. Also important to associate key movements with count as Kip always reminds us and not try to fix everything at once and consequently get overwhelmed and lost.

As I walked home from my usual evening study hall at the gelato shop, I swung the world by the tail and bounced over the white clouds, a la Allison Krauss and Robert Plant.

No comments: