Friday, March 25, 2011

Impulse

Have you ever woken up with the driving need to do something besides going pee? This morning, I woke up and felt the need to photograph...everything. I quickly brushed my teeth, put on sunblock and warm clothing (I know, contradiction), and rushed out the door with my third eye. I didn't know in which direction I wanted to go, and just went with my guts-- when in doubt, chase the sunlight. So I chased, and everything, everything was beautiful and photo-worthy. A junky abandoned lot, the texture of a wall, bricks scattered across a muddy yard, these weird phallic plants whose fur was illuminated gorgeously by the rising sun's rays. The moon was still out, and that was gorgeous...when is the moon ever not gorgeous, though?
Goodmorning, Moon
The perception of beauty is fickle. It's definitely not just a lunarscape I see here, but a lunarscape colored by my own imagination and current mood. What we assume to be perceptions of reality are really just derivatives of the real thing. There are days when everything looks so dreadfully ordinary, and then there are days like today when I have no choice, but am moved by an impulse to photograph all these worldly objects, scenes and people which suddenly appear so vibrant.
That's What She Said
Brilliance Through Wrought Iron
Violin Arm
Before the Workday Begins
Street Coat of Arms
Tropical Bird
Banner Waves of Plastic
I stopped by Whole Foods on the return trip home and bought food unnecessarily. I saw cheese and suddenly had a hankering for cheese. I saw bread, and suddenly, nothing sounded better than a carby, glutinous chunk of bread. The raisin challah was such a perfect balance of sweet and savory-- only hints of each, unlike the raisin danishes we sell at the shop, but sometimes, subtle flavoring is so much more delicious than a gobsmacking dosage of butter and sugar.

No comments: