Thursday, August 09, 2007

I am le tired!

Here's why: I woke up in the morning today.

The past couple weeks, my schedule has consisted of: Wake up at noon. Translate. Shower. Eat. Translate. Develop Chronic Ass Pain (CAP) from sitting all day translating. Eat. Translate. See the sun rise. Sleep. And repeat.

I nearly forgot what morning looked like. Turns out, it's pretty much like the rest of the day, except slightly cooler and the sun's in a different position. No birds chirping or delicious aroma of bacon and eggs and johnnycakes wafting in from the kitchen (which happens to be in the living room in our case, which in turn happens to be where we've been sleeping since the bedroom has no air conditioning).

Anyway, so no birds, but I woke up at 9 AM and ran to the Irish memorial to say hi to my Irish friends, the McGillans and the O'Briens and the rest. I always rest in the shade created by the giant sculpture of the boat docking with all the emaciated Irish immigrants gazing at the land ahead in awe, speechless, as if they can't believe what they're seeing.

Of course, what they are really seeing is a small patch of grass, a couple of trees, and a bench with a homeless man snoozing on it. But they don't need to know that. Well, would it really crush them to know that? They've been on a diseased boat for months, tossing and swaying with the waves. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of anything that's solid and not blue. Anyway...they're not real. Sometimes I forget that.

No comments: