Wednesday, January 14, 2009

She Wears Her Heart On Her Sleeve

What I love about Shene: She cries shamelessly when she's sad, and smiles brilliantly a minute later when the problem's been solved. One day she ran joyfully to the bathroom and came out a minute later crying with trembling lips and huge watery eyes, her stockings down to her ankles and dress in a tangle at her neck. I looked to see what was making her whine so piteously, and discovered the reason for her distress: underneath her clothes she was wearing a zip-up unitard that she just couldn't figure out how to take off in order to go pee. Oh, the plights of a 5-year-old! I wanted to laugh despite her distress, poor thing. I led her to the bathroom with soothing words and helped her take the spandex contraption off, holding in my laughter as she dashed into the stall completely and shamelessly naked. A minute later, she came back out of the bathroom all smiles and ran to her seat, as if nothing terrible had happened just a minute ago, as if no tears had been shed over the matter. This is what I love about Shene: she makes no attempt to stopper her tears when she is feeling sad or distressed, and likewise, when she is happy, she will smile so brilliantly and yell so shrilly and with such gusto during our oral exercises that I have to try hard not to laugh out loud after my initial shock. Shene, she wears her heart on her sleeve, just like the song says, her face a direct conduit to her heart. 

No comments: