Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fool Loops

A few days ago, I had a sudden hankering for good ole Froot Loops cereal*, so yesterday at Kok Market, I bought a box that said "Froot Loops" on it with a picture of Toucan Sam and the Kellogg's brand name- just like the authentic Froot Loops you find at Safeways and Albertsons all across America, except with Arabic translations off to the side. 

Now, as I sit here eating a bowl of these "Froot Loops", I realize I've been fooled. This is definitely a knock-off version of the true Froot Loops. It's only half as sweet- it fails to sweeten the milk- and it's missing a few of the "variety of bright colors" that the loops usually come in, namely blue, yellow, and red. 

Now, according to the box, this cereal was produced in Germany which is not a developing country so really they have no excuse. Which leaves me to wonder, does Germany have a dislike for primary-colored cereal? And is that really Toucan Sam, or his DNA double? I knew I should have done a retinal scan...

*Actually, I remember the exact time and cause of my hankering- it was while I was watching the scene in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" where he's eating that kimchi bowl-sized portion of Froot Loops instead of a reasonably-portioned, reasonably-healthy salad. 

2 comments:

Beki said...

Funny that they're produced in Germany, because Tunisia made their own knock-offs. I'd have to bet that your version is just what the company thinks will sell best in the area. Maybe Germans are disturbed by the pink milk?

sarahsookyung said...

Haha! A Turkish knockoff would I'm sure, rival the US version in sugar content. They sugar their food like we spice ours!

Have you thought about where you're going when you get back to the states?