Thursday, May 12, 2011

Little Bucket Update #4

Walking home from ballet, I nearly tread on a mass of gray lint. Something about the form of the mass drew me back up the sidewalk. Peering more closely, I discovered that the mass of gray lint was actually a dead sparrow, flattened out into two dimensions, one of its stick legs and claws sticking crookedly out one way, and its beak the other way. Ah...sadness...

A few steps later down the walk, another sight made me pause: An open egg carton, empty save for 3 eggshells that had been decorated presumably for the past Easter holiday. But these were the fanciest, most intricately-decorated Easter eggs I’d ever seen. One had a detailed portrait of a woman’s face in black and white with shading even, another was a more abstract floral black and white design. The third one was severely cracked. My mind crossed back to the pancaked sparrow, and for a moment, I had this fleeting, Hermes-like thought that the bird had come from these eggs. Juxtaposition of experiences gives rise to preposterous thoughts. I took the eggshells with me and dropped them-- with care-- into my bucket of whims.

No comments: