Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Muslim Question

Why is it such a big deal whether or not Obama is a Muslim? I think it is shameful that it is even an issue in this campaign.

"Mr. Obama, are you, or are you not a Muslim?"

They ask him that-over and over again- as if being a Muslim is like being a drug addict, or a Hannah Montana fan, or the father of Anna-Nicole Smith's baby, as if it's something to be ashamed of. Is politics nothing but a Jerry Springer show?

Is you, or is you ain't, the father?

Of course, I'm not that naive. I know exactly why it is a big deal in politics. But I still think it is utterly stupid. America has come a long way in putting a woman and a black man on the presidential nominee stand, but when will come the day when a candidate can respond to the above question with a candid "Yes, I believe in Allah", and not a single eyebrow is raised?

(Answer: when people start shaving off their eyebrows.).

No comments: