Wednesday, May 07, 2008

My Idealism Speaks Out

"Why does applied science bring us so little happiness? The simple answer is that we have not yet learned to make proper use of it. In time of war it has given men the means to poison and mutilate one another. In time of peace it has made our lives hurried and uncertain. It has enslaved us to machines. The chief objective of all technological effort must be concern for mankind. Never forget this when you are pondering over your diagrams and equations!"

-Einstein during an address to Caltech students, from the Peace Pledge Union site.

"I believe America may totally succumb to the fearful militarisation which engulfed Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. There is real danger that political power and the power to influence the minds of people will pass increasingly into the hands of the military, which is used to approaching all political problems from the point of view of military expediency. Because of America's supremacy, the military point of view is forced upon the world."

-Einstein, 1949-ish, around the time the Soviet Union exploded its first atomic bomb.

The Peace Pledge Union link where I found the above quotes is a really interesting article on Einstein, the political activist. I'd always known he was a pacifist, but the extent of his involvement in campaigning for peace surprised me. To the end of his days, it seems he was chasing after two dreams: a grand unification theory and world peace. Which is the more elusive goal? Only time will tell, but it reminds me of one of Einstein's famous sayings: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

If I ever become famous, this is how I'd want to use my influence! Promotion of peace, humanity, international cooperation! I sound like such a hippie. In the more likely event that I don't become famous, I'm gonna busk for charity. Almost got the first song in my guitar repertoire down- Blackbird. Add to that Let It Be, Imagine, and other Beatles songs, and I'll have me a Beatles for Peace program!

See y'all in the streets,

Archimedes

No comments: