Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Air in Dubai

Hot as an oven and wet like a sauna. Plus or minus some exaggeration. It was around 115 degrees, with gusts of hot wind blowing from the planes, and the air was so heavy with moisture that I could have taken out an empty Poland Springs bottle and bottled it up. If anyone was not yet convinced of the material nature of air, then you'd have no problem believing it in Dubai. I felt like a fish suddenly becoming aware of its watery surroundings. Now, whether fish are or aren't aware of their watery surroundings is still a contentious subject, but...'tis only a simile. 

My brother had made a request for a picture of the Burj Al Arab- the 7 star hotel built to resemble a billowing sail, sitting right in the middle of the sea. Yet, when we pulled up to the gate, I learned that you had to make a $300 reservation (minimum) just to go inside! My cab driver took me around back to Jumeirah Beach for the best view of the famous hotel that us poorer folk could afford.





...still far, far away, the unmoving sail...


I headed down the sands to dip my feet into the Arabian Sea.




The sand was different from any other sand I'd ever felt between my toes- so fine and soft it felt like I was walking on flour; and the water was unlike any other beach water I'd ever felt- it was actually warm!

No comments: