Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Which is the more religious experience?

A) Standing in my backyard at 1:30 in the morning with my neck craned to the heavens, trying to spot a meteor, or

B) Opening the case containing my brand new ipod nano?

Good arguments can be put forth for either. In choice A, the absolute silence and stillness of the night, the lack of other (awake) human life, the soft silhouettes of tall evergreens that stretch into the sky, the imminent departure for unfamiliar lands far far away from home, and the enormous, expansive sky itself speckled with stars all make for a feeling that I can only call religious, though it has nothing to do with God. In choice B, let me tell you, there is something about the way Apple packages their products that makes opening them an unforgettable experience. The ipod nano, for example, is encased in a perfect little form-fitting glass box, and the lid opens upward to reveal the long-coveted nano, and I swear I heard an angel choir and saw divine light streaming from inside the box. Sigh...

It's a tough choice folks. Well, I'm off to the rooftop to watch for more of nature's fireworks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

where are you?