Monday, August 04, 2008

The Here & the Now, Part I: San Francisco

The last weeks before I leave, I find myself in a flurry of activities, mostly getting together with friends for lunch, dinner, happy hour, and parties. These days, I am very much living in the present which is something I forgot how to do throughout high school and college because the only things I really thought about then was all the work I had to get done for school, due date after due date after due date. There are plenty of things I should be studying right now too, but all that has been trumped by the need to just hang out with friends for the last time before I skip off to a far-away land for a year.

In San Francisco, for instance, I got to see my cousins, and the highlight of the trip was no doubt Half-Moon Bay, a beach shaped like a crescent moon, crested by vertigo-inducing cliffsides and black rocky masses. I climbed one of the rocky masses that was sitting right at the edge of the sand, and upon reaching the top and looking down at the water, my heart started racing and I was immediately seized with terror and wonder at once. It was thrilling to be looking down at the waves crashing like thunder against the very rocks I was standing on. Water is scary when there is so much of it, but its mysterious depths also draw you like the Sirens.

The eating highlight was definitely the Chile crabs smothered in sweet chile sauce that we had at the Singaporean restaurant I think in downtown Stanford. I could have done without the crab, but the sauce was to die for. But actually, the true highlight of the trip was being reunited with Sarah again. There is no end to our silliness when we are together. Mundane activities like a trainride from Redwood City to San Francisco, or rock-paper-scissors suddenly become exciting and laugh-until-your-stomach-hurts hilarious.

No comments: