Sunday, August 24, 2008

Erbil, here I am!


Friday evening, August 15, 2008
I opened the door to my new single and was mighty pleased by the sight of my new bedroom- glorious, delicious splashes of bright orange and pink. Normally, such a glaringly bright color scheme might be too much even for me, but here in Erbil, thousands of miles from home in the middle of nowhere, extravagant cheeriness is exactly what I will need. With my cheery room, my music and my books, I feel quite happy, and the thought of coming adventures in exploring this completely alien terrain and culture thrills my imagination. 


There is still a lot of construction going on at the school. 





All the laborers are either Bangladeshi or Turkmen.

2 comments:

David said...

I'm assuming your Erbil is what Google labels Irbil on their maps?

Yeah I was kinda worried when I heard about a plan crash in Kyrgyzstan yesterday since I remember the place you were staying at started with a 'K'. Now I know Kyrgyzstan is one of "The Stans" countries.

David said...

Hm, I was just going to post something about being glad that things are going well, but it appears that "David" already posted a comment. Maybe it is time for me to pick a more unique name to use for posting comments.

Anyway - glad to hear things are going well and that's so cool that you got to see Dubai!